Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Complete Game "Salvation"
This game also came off a container re-imported from Argentina. At first glance it looks fairly complete - not as many missing pieces as compared to the Dracula. The rotating gun mechanism is intact, as are most of the plastics and ramps. The interior is filthy, but looks like a fairly simple clean job. The pictures below show some of the disassembly and dirty old playfield. Click to see more closely.
January 2008: I have removed the playfield from the cabinet and have stripped it down on both sides. The cleaning job on this game is extensive - years of filth and crud are embedded everywhere.
Update Mar 3, 2008: I have ordered parts for this game and am proceeding with the restoration. Pictures shown here are the game being stripped - you can see the dirt, playfield gouges and insert lifting.The wiring has been removed and requires painstaking cleaning to get all the dirt off.
Update May 14, 2008: I have completed the playfield strip down and there are major issues with the playfield, gouges and paint strips. There has been an attempt to try and paint over these areas, but not very well. Luckily I have been able to acquire a new playfield for this game, and will start the rebuild once it arrives. When removing the under playfield parts and wiring, I carefully applied stickers on wiring indicating what mechanism it attached to so that resoldering will be easier.
Update Oct. 2008: Was able to purchase a NOS playfield and have it auto-clearcoated locally through a fellow pinball collector. Will let the playfield cure for a while before I repopulate it.
Update December 27, 2009: Okay, so I did leave this for a long time...but have now been able to finally get back to rebuilding this game. I have purchased some parts NOS from Marco Specialties, and was able to pick up another used game, the intent being to put together one good game and sell off the remaining parts.
Update January 2, 2010: I have built a playfield rotisserie, mounted the NOS playfield carefully, and begun the repopulation process. Click on pictures to see more details of re-population.
1. First, all T-nuts were insatlled on the underside of the playfield.
2. Then installation of the major under playfield mechanisms, usually with coils. Kickbacks, the gun mechanism platform, knock-down target, popper, fllppers and jet bumpers - all have been mounted on the underside. I also use this moment to reinstall the stand-up posts that the wiring harnesses get organized into so as to keep the mess down.
3. There are 3 wiring harnesses. The first one to go back on contains the G.I. strings of bulbs (easily identified by the yellow wiring). I lay the harness over the underside of the playfield, using my nut driver and/or an electric screwdriver, screw the lightbulb holders back into place. The playfield already has pre-drilled mounting holes easily identified for the various parts. Referring to the other populated playfield or pictures taken from before disassembly also helps ensure the right spots. After attaching the bulbs I set to work soldering the wiring onto the major mechanisms. On this harness are the wires for the jet bumper switches - they get soldered using my Weller soldering gun and rosin core solder (.031" diameter).
4. The second harness is similar to the first - screw in any light mechanisms such as flashers, then move onto resoldering wiring to mechanisms. The 3rd harness has the flipper wiring and lots of soldering to coils on the various mechs.